As soon as you become a successful owner of a franchise, the franchisor will provide you with a detailed business plan. The brand’s intellectual property and high-quality goods and services are safeguarded and provided by following the criteria in this franchise operation handbook. The short version is that it outlines the parameters within which you should work. Using this template, a franchise can be designed and run from start to finish.
The primary purpose of this text is to convey knowledge on how to run the company, and it is neither persuading nor sentimental. As an alternative, it is condensed, to the point, and replete with graphs and other graphics to facilitate comprehension. The operations handbook contains confidential information on the franchisor’s business processes, methods, and operations. There are “how-to” instructions that help the franchise owner get up and running.
Using this document, the franchisor can guide franchisees on various business matters, including marketing, purchasing and other operational facets. There are only a few suppliers from which franchisees can get items and supplies.
Franchise Operation Manual: Contents
The layout and format of a franchise system might vary from one system to the next. For example, an operations handbook could be a printed document or an online video. As long as the franchisor gets the idea over, it doesn’t matter what format they utilize. This article touches on a wide range of topics, including:
Franchise Operation Manual: Confidentiality
All confidential information in the paper must be disclosed to the franchisee and kept private at all times. The manual’s purpose and how it should be used in the franchise system are explained in the introduction. Manual upgrades and legal disclaimers are also mentioned.
Defining the Franchise
The franchisee will also benefit from the manual’s inclusion of brand-related information. As a new franchisee, you’ll be introduced to your franchisor. There are specific areas where franchisees can be granted authorization to uphold the brand’s high standards and quality in their business initiatives. Even if they aren’t legally partners, franchisees act as business partners with the parent company. Using this section of the text, they should be able to imitate the company’s thinking.
Regarding customer service, franchisees and their employees can follow parent company regulations and procedures. There should be information on the company’s founders, management team, and operational procedures included in the “Our Story” section for franchisees. It should also provide information on potential customers, services, and products.
Business Operations Playbook
Information about how a franchise operates can be included in its operations handbook. In this situation, the franchisor trains the franchisee on how to do business and the correct procedures to follow. This section details the products and/or services offered by the company. A summary and an explanation are therefore included in this section.
Some of the information contained in this section includes the following:
- Offer: Services/Products
- How to Pitch & Sales Strategy
- Process: Product/Service Development
- Pricing: Price Modelling & Competitive Pricing
- Exclusive Supplier Listing
- Customer Support & Service
- Human Resource for Service Excellence
- Accounting for Financial Evaluation
Franchise Marketing & Development
Franchisees will learn about their duties for marketing products and services in the local market as the fourth objective of this guide. Franchising agreements include training and education about running a successful franchise business. The franchisee’s sales will rise as a result of this training. Facts and figures are included in this section’s content.
- Franchisor Case Study-based Marketing Strategy
- Direction for Website Messaging/Functionality
- Social Media & Email Marketing
Franchise Supply Chain & Operations
The operations manual instructs franchise owners about the whole supply chain, including permitted ingredients in the case of a restaurant or food chain. This section explains how the company’s unique flavors or styles are created. As detailed in the text, these substances can also be purchased via licensed distributors.
Here are product and brand compliance guidelines, recipes, limitations, signage, and other related items.
Most of the time, this part serves as a quick reference.
- Accredited suppliers/partners
- Maintainance Insurance
- Permitted Ingredients & Services
- Space Construction & Ambience Design
- Guidance on Management Systems
- Supplier Approval Solicitation Method
- Standard Operating Manual for Emails & Calls
In conclusion, every standard franchise operating manual must answer the following questions-
- Why did you start your business?
- What are the major accomplishments of your organization?
- What are some of your motivational case studies?
- What is your company’s culture?
- What is the already accomplished & projected growth vision of your company?
- What are you selling? Goods or Services?
- How much are you selling, and how are you selling it?
- How do you develop and prepare what you sell in goods or services?
- What is the production process?
- What is the pricing, and how is it unique from competitors given the value?
- Who are your exclusive suppliers of our goods or services?
- How do you handle customer service?
- How do you manage employees?
- How and at what frequency do you evaluate your loss and income statement?
Diverse organizations and industries will have unique operating guidelines for their franchise operation manual. However, most of the material offered here is similar to what you’d find in a conventional franchise operation handbook.