The American dream has been greatly influenced by franchising. Even though franchises are all around us, you may not be familiar with these 12 interesting franchise facts you didn’t know!
- Currently, the US has around 750,000 franchises. These businesses directly employ nearly 8 million people, with QSRs and Table/Full-Service Restaurants accounting for over half of all jobs in franchising.
- Many people think that Albert Singer is the person who came up with the modern-day franchise model, especially in the United States. In the 1900s, Singer was the first to design and implement a franchise contract for selling his sewing machines across the country.
- Domino’s Pizza topped the charts as the world’s largest pizza vendor in 2018. Originally known as “DomiNick’s,” the chain now operates 14,855 locations.
- Walgreens began as a tiny food store in Chicago, Illinois, back in 1901. With 9,560 sites, CVS Drugstore is the second-largest pharmacy business in the United States today, after Walgreens.
- Dave Thomas, the founder of Wendy’s, worked for Colonel Harlan Sanders of KFC in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Thomas would subsequently profit from a Sanders ownership position in Wendy’s by turning around underperforming KFC restaurants in Columbus, Ohio.
- There are approximately 250,000 different ways to order a burger at Five Guys. The “Five Guys” behind the burger franchise are five brothers from Alexandria, Virginia, who opened the restaurant in 1986 as a carry-out-only establishment.
- Pinkberry’s flavor lineup is rotated multiple times a year. However, one flavor is always the “Original” at the frozen yogurt shop. Pinkberry also offers a variety of toppings for its yogurt.
- In 1984, AlphaGraphics became the first supplier of desktop publishing software. The business center offerings of the organization have developed over the years to include printing, marketing communications, and document development and management.
- In Venice, California, the first Gold’s Gym is dubbed “The Mecca” (bodybuilding). Gold’s Gym is the world’s largest co-ed gym, with members ranging from beginners to professionals, including Hollywood celebrities.
- Honest-1 Auto Care is the only national franchise with ESA (Environmentally Sustainable Actions) Certified eco-friendly sites. The ESA Program’s four core categories are pollution avoidance, recycling, resource conservation, and supplying and marketing eco-friendly auto care services.
- Each day, Dunkin’ Donuts serves over three million consumers. Several of these clients subscribe to Dunkin’ Donuts’ coffee subscription service, Regular Refills, which includes delivering their preferred coffee blend(s) to their home or business.
- Since 1945, Baskin-Robbins–famous for its “31 flavors” motto–has introduced more than 1,000 ice cream varieties. The top five selling Baskin-Robbins ice cream flavors are Vanilla, Chocolate Chip, Pralines’n’ Cream, and Chocolate Chip.
These 12 interesting franchise facts that you didn’t know earlier hopefully inspire you to develop your dream into a successful franchise business someday!
Liked what you read? Follow us on Linkedin.
Want your franchise news to be covered? Send your Press Release.