In a remarkable display of compassion and commitment, Domino’s Pizza Inc. proudly inaugurated The Domino’s Village, the newest housing facility at the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee. This monumental achievement is the result of a relentless effort to make a difference in the lives of families battling pediatric cancer and other catastrophic diseases. Domino’s CEO, Russell Weiner, expressed the company’s excitement and gratitude, highlighting the tireless work that went into making this dream a reality.
A Vision Realized
Domino’s pledge to contribute $100 million to create The Domino’s Village was announced in 2020. After more than three years of unwavering dedication, the grand opening marks a momentous occasion for patient families seeking solace during their difficult journeys. This compassionate endeavor would not have been possible without the collective efforts of Domino’s stores and the generous donations from its customers. The result is a welcoming refuge for families facing the unimaginable, providing a home away from home precisely when they need it most.
The Domino’s Village at a Glance
The Domino’s Village is a six-story structure designed with the utmost care and consideration for the needs of its residents. Among its key features are:
1. Fully Furnished Apartments
The facility boasts 140 fully furnished apartments, catering to the diverse needs of patient families. From one-bedroom to three-bedroom units, these accommodations offer a comfortable, supportive environment for families, regardless of their size or the duration of their stay.
2. Enriching Common Areas
The Domino’s Village offers a plethora of common areas aimed at enhancing the overall well-being of its residents:
- Arts and Craft Room: A space where children can explore their creativity through painting, drawing, and crafting.
- Community Kitchen: A place for families to cook together, fostering a sense of community and shared meals.
- Dining Room: The facility is the first St. Jude patient housing to feature an in-house dining facility operated by St. Jude Food Services, complete with a drop-down movie screen.
- Outdoor Activity Space: An outdoor haven featuring accessible play equipment, grills, patio tables, a large LED movie screen, and a walking path.
- Rec Room: A hub of entertainment with foosball, a pool table, and gaming stations.
- Toddler Room: A specially designed play area for the little ones, adorned with a beach theme, a walk-in lighthouse, and vibrant murals of sea creatures, sailboats, and beach umbrellas.
- Medical Clinic: Equipped with three exam rooms to provide patients with necessary medical attention and pre-clinical care before undergoing procedures at the hospital.
- Fitness Room: A fitness enthusiast’s paradise with a wide range of equipment, a dedicated space for yoga and group fitness classes.
- Sky Bridge: An elevated walkway over North Third Street, ensuring safe and convenient access to other buildings on St. Jude’s campus.
- Nondenominational Prayer Room: A serene space for meditation, reflection, and prayer, promoting emotional well-being.
- The comprehensive facilities at The Domino’s Village are a testament to Domino’s commitment to providing a holistic and supportive environment for patient families during their difficult times.
A Historic Act of Generosity
The Domino’s Village project stands as the most significant corporate contribution ever received by St. Jude, underscoring the impact of Domino’s commitment to alleviating the burdens of families in crisis. This transformative gift has made The Domino’s Village a home away from home for St. Jude families, irrespective of where they come from – all 50 states and around the world.
In the words of Richard Shadyac Jr., president and CEO of ALSAC, the fundraising and awareness organization for St. Jude, “Thanks to this historic act of generosity by Domino’s, which was the largest corporate commitment we had ever received, The Domino’s Village will be a home away from home for St. Jude families who come for treatment from all 50 states and around the world.” It is a testament to the power of collaboration and the potential to bring about profound change when organizations and communities come together for a common cause.
St. Jude’s Commitment
The Domino’s Village is one of four housing facilities available to St. Jude patients, but it is the first to accommodate both short- and long-term stays. This inclusive approach aims to cater to the diverse needs of families seeking refuge at the hospital. It is set to welcome its first St. Jude patients and families in October 2023, marking a significant milestone in the journey to provide care and support to those in need.
St. Jude has a longstanding commitment to providing free housing to any patient requiring an overnight stay and whose family must travel 35 miles or more to the campus. The hospital’s reach extends far beyond national borders, with patients coming from across the United States and around the world. Therefore, providing housing for patients and their families remains an indispensable need in the battle against childhood cancer and other catastrophic diseases.
Since its inception in 1962, St. Jude has been a beacon of hope for those who once considered childhood cancer incurable. The hospital’s relentless dedication to research and care has significantly improved survival rates, raising them from a mere 20% to over 80%. The partnership between St. Jude and Domino’s, facilitated through the generous support of Domino’s stores and customers, demonstrates a shared commitment to ensuring that no child succumbs to cancer.
The Domino’s Village represents more than just bricks and mortar; it is a testament to the power of corporate social responsibility, collaboration, and community support. It is a haven of hope for families facing unimaginable challenges, offering them respite, support, and comfort during their most trying times.
The grand opening of The Domino’s Village marks a significant chapter in the ongoing battle against childhood cancer. It is a reminder that, together, we can create lasting change and make a tangible impact in the lives of those who need it most. Domino’s Pizza Inc., St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, and their dedicated partners have set an inspiring example of what can be achieved when compassion and commitment unite in the pursuit of a better world for all.
In the words of Russell Weiner, Domino’s CEO, “We’re grateful to have played one small part in providing a home away from home for these families at a time when they need it the most.” The Domino’s Village stands as a beacon of hope, a testament to the power of kindness, and a promise to support those in their darkest hours.
Liked what you read? Follow us on Linkedin.
Want your franchise news to be covered? Send your Press Release.